Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I Wish I Could Cook...

I wish I could cook more often than I do. I wish I had more energy more often. I mean, have you watched Rachael Ray? She is straight up zippy and gets everything made so quickly and simply. I am getting better with practice, though. =)
I also wish I were better at cooking meat and fish. I do okay, but I wish I had expert knowledge about it. It comes with time and experience, though. It's like dough - you just know when it's right and it can't really be taught. You just make it enough that you know when the dough is perfect.
I'd like to cook more fancy dishes more often. I made some gorgeous panna cotta with raspberry coulis a while ago and it was so good and so simple to make. I'm going to try my hand at some pomegranate panna cotta soon. Last time I made vanilla bean, which was lovely. This will be good, too, I think. With candied orange peel garnish. And I found Bobby Flay's recipe for Crepes Suzette and it sounds divine. I wish I had a crepe pan, but I always make due. Though, I'm so excited to get the blue Le Creuset dutch oven I have on my wish list for amazon. Everyone needs a good dutch oven.
I'd still like to go to cooking school, too. Once we figure out the programs and how we'll work the finances, we could do it. I'd like to just fancy the pants off some dishes! Having Alton Brown as my personal tutor would be cool. He does everything the hardest and longest way possible, but he knows his stuff.
Wow, I feel the essay-tendency coming on. I compulsively need to write that in summation I wish I could cook more often, cook meat and fish better, cook fancier, and learn to cook better on the whole. Man, all I did for all that time in school was crank out dopey essays. Well, at least I got a trilobite out of college, eh? xD

2 comments:

Emily said...

You've succeeded in making me officially hungry!!

Jiles The Great said...

Having tasted your cooking, I can safely say you can definitely cook. I can only imagine what amazing dishes will come from you after you finish culinary school. I will be more than happy to be your official taster of new dishes. :-)