Friday, November 26, 2010

A lot going on...

I meant to post yesterday and talk about my worst date, but Thanksgiving was wow. Since I've been scaling down my medication I've been experiencing withdrawals (It's fantastic!) so I didn't even get started until around 4 pm. But I made my pumpkin dessert - it's basically pumpkin pie, but square, with a crust with oats in the dough, and a brown sugary nutty topping. Then I worked on the dressing and the yams. I completely forgot about the mashed potatoes and corn (doh!). We had decided to bread some turkey cutlets for our Thanksgiving. So I pounded them out (no meat mallet - I use my fists, baby!), seasoned them, floured, egged, breaded, and placed them in a couple of tablespoons of oil. When it came time to turn them, the pan was getting a little dry and my evoo was out. So, instead of opening my new bottle, I put a little veg oil in and turned the cutlets over. Of course, they were sizzling and sputtering. As I pulled them off the heat, the geometry and physics were all just right and a minuscule drop of hot oil spat up from the pan and DIRECTLY INTO MY OPEN EYE. We hurriedly flooded my eye with cold water and I made the gravy. It's been sore and irritated and we're keeping an eye on it (pun intended! hyuckhyuck) and putting drops in regularly. At least now I have another one-up-ya pain story for conversation. (The only way I can be thankful for the experience. Cause, I gotta tell you: OW.) It was a yummy potatoless meal. Johnny set the table and we had a candlelit Thanksgiving and it turned out to be a wonderful night. And the leftovers will have potatoes today, mark my words. ;)
So, yesterday's post:
~The worst date ever.~
My worst date was my first date, which happened to be prom. A tall, pale, red-haired boy in my creative writing class had gotten to know my friend, Dianna, and I a little bit. One day at lunch he asked her to go into the hall with him and he asked her to prom. Her parents had a rule she had to be 16 to date so she declined. Then he asked me into the hall and asked me. Sloppy seconds is always SO flattering. I was already 16 and hadn't been asked out before, so I didn't know the tactful art of telling a boy that I'm not interested. (I got good at it during college. The art of hurting a little now to avoid hurting a lot later has been mastered.) So, I said I'd go and he gave me the stupid teddy bear he'd already offered Dianna and I began dreading. At my high school, having a "day date" was trendy, so we were going to have one. He picked me up in the morning, I can't even remember what time, to go skating at a nearby rink that had been steadily going out of style but gets a lot of business around dance-time. There was one other couple that had been dating for quite some time in our group. Oh, and his mom decided to be his chauffeur and camerawoman. -.- We got to the rink a solid hour early. His mother had already driven away to go to the salon, so we killed time at a nearby gas station reading greeting cards and smelling candles. When they opened the doors at the rink we rented our skates and started skating in circles. Much later, we had some pizza at the little lunch counter the rink had. We skated more and when we sat at the side, the guy kept trying to hold my hand or put his arm around my waist. Did I mention it was also his first date ever? Finally, his mother picked us up and I went home and put bandages on my blisters, as we had been at that blasted rink for 6 HOURS. The longest of my life. My mom had made a beautiful prom dress for me, and my sister, Melinda, helped me with my hair and make-up. His mom pulled up and he came to the door with a corsage bracelet for me. We walked to the car with his mother filming us the whole way. Then the guy from the other couple held the camera while my date gave his mother a corsage, as well. At least it was a magic moment for her... We had dinner at a nice place with his mother a couple of tables away. I was too nervous to eat much. In the car on our way to the dance, I also witnessed my date dabbing some concealer on his facial blemishes, which highly disturbed me... At the dance itself, my date had a lot of punch - which had been spiked with something that I guess made frequent bathroom trips necessary. Several times I was left in the middle of the dance floor alone as my date bolted toward the bathroom. We spent most of the night sitting at one of the tables not talking though we made attempts at conversation. At last his mom drove us away from the dance and I didn't even hug him at the door. I hurried inside so he wouldn't see me crying. And we pretty much never talked again...
I got better at dating and went to Homecoming at 3 different schools the next year and had a lot of fun, just by the by. And soon there was John. => The first date was just the worst date ever. :S

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wisp - trying to get organized after turkey day (thanks for your kind holiday wishes)and need to know your birthday including year. You can email it to me if you don't want it out there. Thanks, dad

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Yeeoch! Hope your eye is feeling better, and that your leftovers are as good as the first day!