Friday, November 19, 2010

Reasons I Dislike My Name

I already missed a day. I kind of suck. Oh, wellz. Last night I was all nervous and distracted because I was going to need to see a psychiatrist today about the medications blah blah blah and then they gave us horrible directions and a crappy little map some idiot made on paint (instead of, I don't know, an ACTUAL map) which showed a turn in the wrong place so we went west instead of east for a while and then had to turn around and go all the way back (I had called and let them know we were having trouble finding it because of their directions) and then we were late and they decided that we would have to reschedule - and their earliest appointment is over a month away. I had fantasies involving slashing motions and red corn syrup while they printed a small reminder card for me in the top corner of a whole piece of paper. Before we were out of the parking lot I was on the phone with the stupid army doctor place making an appointment for today. This doctor will listen to me, even if I have to take the white coat away and wear it myself. (I've always fancied how I'd look in one of those. Dr. Tine, M.D... You must admit there's a ring to it...)

*ahem* ~Reasons I Dislike My Name~
The main reason I dislike my name is that it's also everyone else's name -- ALMOST. I've been called Kristin, Christina, Christy/Kristy/Kristi/Cristi/any other stupid spelling to make someone feel "individual," Christian, Christopher a couple of times (dark times, I must say)... I got so I answered to anything that starts with a cr/chr/kr sound. Also, I am always interrupted in the middle of my last name with, "Is that with a C or a K?" Ryder seemed easy but for some reason they look up Rider and Wrighter long before Ryder. And I have trouble pronouncing my own name. And the longer we're here the more southern Ryder sounds when I say it. So I try to un-south it and then I sound like I think they're stupid because I'm overpronouncing it like people that are uncomfortable around the elderly talk to someone's grandpa. I'm just gonna give in and south it forever. Just easier that way. Besides, some of my other words are doing the same thing... "five" and other words with that vowel sound, and I've added y'all to my vocabulary cause it just makes good sense. I hadn't realized my vocabulary was missing a word until the "y'all" crept into the open slot waiting for it... But I digress. My name is annoying. But, no one else but me answers to Tine. So, I think I'm much more fond of being Tine now than before writing this entry.
The blathering is cause of all the nervous energy I've already had today and how unfulfilled my slashing fantasy was.



1 comment:

Maren said...

I have a sister named Christine
saying her name was a difficult thing
well just for my brother
and maybe a couple others
So now she just goes by tine.