Hm... I usually think of words that are awesome. Like rutabaga, zounds, puppy (it's fun to say), epiphany, dandelion, pomegranate... Lots of fun words. Ooh! Liquefaction is another good one. I love it.
But, one that drives me crazy... Nuclear. The reason it drives me crazy is because half the population can't seem to say it correctly. When someone says nukyuler it feels like my Dr. Hyder (get it? Ryder, Hyder rhyming instead of just Jeckell's Hyde?... yeah...) is going to come springing out and spell the word loudly for them and demand where they get the extra letters. I feel like the worst thing that happens in elementary school is that kids aren't forced to sound the word out. The idiot teaching them to read just tells the child the word instead of helping them sound it out and discover the word for themselves. Thus, people learn word-recognition so they just read that clump of word instead of the letters that make it up.
Wow. Little did I know I had some pent up frustration about a word. I may need to think about this more and release any other word-frustrations I'm not aware of. hahaha. ;)

But, one that drives me crazy... Nuclear. The reason it drives me crazy is because half the population can't seem to say it correctly. When someone says nukyuler it feels like my Dr. Hyder (get it? Ryder, Hyder rhyming instead of just Jeckell's Hyde?... yeah...) is going to come springing out and spell the word loudly for them and demand where they get the extra letters. I feel like the worst thing that happens in elementary school is that kids aren't forced to sound the word out. The idiot teaching them to read just tells the child the word instead of helping them sound it out and discover the word for themselves. Thus, people learn word-recognition so they just read that clump of word instead of the letters that make it up.
Wow. Little did I know I had some pent up frustration about a word. I may need to think about this more and release any other word-frustrations I'm not aware of. hahaha. ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment