Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Superstitions

When I was a kid I used to watch that cartoon with Donald Duck where he avoids going under the ladder and doesn't like the number 13 and runs away from the black cat. He breaks a mirror and will get seven years bad luck. There are so many - don't put your hat on the bed, put a horse shoe above the door, rub a rabbit's foot (I had one when I was little and now I'm like... ew! a dead thing's foot dyed red and key-chained? You kidding me?), pick up pennies, don't step on a crack... Hahaha. I also loved Bernard in The Rescuers skipping the thirteenth step. Somewhere along the line, though, I forgot about a lot of it. I would have a lucky pencil for tests, though, and I wore a kind of lucky necklace that said "imagine" and a moonstone ring (from when I read The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins - not any Twilight stuff, ew) every day for a long time. Now, I basically feel like if you believe in something, that's what gives it power. Whether it be good or bad. And I figure why not believe something's lucky? Can't hurt anything. I'm not going to believe I'm cursed or in bad stuff, though. Haha. Along the same lines of the people who have a positive outlook on life seem to have a good life. Looking at Nigella Lawson's life, she lost her mother, sister, and husband to cancer. But, she's so positive and keeps going. She remarried and loves her kids and makes yumminess on tv and tells the world she'd rather have a larger size pant and enjoy food and life than spend life skimping on it and worrying about her waistline. She has every excuse to give up and be sad forever, but she doesn't do it. She believes in love and happiness and they are real for her. I want to be that way, believing in life and sporting my good luck charms. =D

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Thank you for the info about Nigella Lawson. I don't watch much TV so had never heard much about her until I heard an interview on NPR. In that interview, she was so delightful, funny, and down-to-earth. ... Thank you for sharing Nigella's view on the larger size pant, as I have been struggling with that somewhat lately and depriving myself of some yumminess. Now I feel a bit more free to enjoy Thanksgiving pies tomorrow!

wisp said...

=) Thanks, Carolyn! I watched a chefography about Nigella. Her mother suffered from an eating disorder and Nigella said when her mother found out she was dying that she told Nigella that for the first time she didn't have to worry about what she ate. She died two weeks later. So, Nigella decided not to live worrying about what she ate - you never know when there will only be two weeks.