Hm... Confession: not a sports fan. I know you're all shocked because of how sporty I seem. *sarcasm* Hahaha. Well, I'm not into watching the traditional team sports. I like playing them, though. And I'd like to go to a baseball game. If I were into baseball I could say the Great Bambino, like in the Sandlot. xD But, ballroom dancing and martial arts are two not-so-traditional sports that I've been part of. Though when my sensei ran toward me for my belt test I ran out of the ring squealing... I was 19 and even more wimpy than I am now. So, I'll pick someone from those two sports I admire.
And the winner is: Tony Jaa. (John will FREAK OUT when he reads this cause he has no idea how much I love this martial artist he introduced me to. xD )

Tony Jaa is a Thai martial arts actor. His parents were elephant herders in Thailand and as a kid Tony (his real Thai name is Panom Yeerum) grew up watching the masters: Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li. So, he started imitating and learning the martial arts he saw, combining the styles of those he admired. He became a stunt man and later an actor. He had an interest in Muay Boran, which is an ancient style of Muay Thai (Muay Boran focuses on using 9 weapons: arms, legs, elbows, knees, and head, which is very apparent when watching Tony use it) and the movie Ong Bak was made to showcase his skills. A few months ago John and I picked up the movie because John was so excited about it - he'd seen it with a friend during AIT (training). When you first watch it, your mind is a little left behind trying to grasp the movement and speed Jaa is capable of. Here is a clip from the movie - beware the evil guy flips off the camera and I'm annoyed it's in here, but at least the fight is set to Michael Jackson. Also... it's violent, obviously, since it's martial arts. And it's a fairly cheesy-seeming movie from this clip. *shrug* We're watching for the coolness of the martial arts, not necessarily for the acting...
And now I'm in the mood to listen to Michael Jackson for a while. xD
So, Tony Jaa did a few movies and suddenly he became a Buddhist monk at a temple in Surin, Thailand. I think that is awesome. No one knows how long he will be there. I know that many Buddhist monks are able to accomplish inhuman feats with their martial arts. John and I watched a movie called Wheel of Life. Some Shaolin Buddhist Monks put on a rare performance of their abilities for a live audience. It is AMAZING. Here is a clip - just watch until the little boy does some amazing pole work, that's all I ask. It still leaves me in awe, as I watch. Perhaps Jaa is training with the monks and working toward enlightenment. :)

In any case, I really admire this man. He has achieved so much from such a beautifully humble and simple beginning. It makes me itch to train again. I think I will look into it. Now that my shoulders are doing somewhat better, I should be able to accomplish more. And it's such a rewarding discipline. =)
And the winner is: Tony Jaa. (John will FREAK OUT when he reads this cause he has no idea how much I love this martial artist he introduced me to. xD )

Tony Jaa is a Thai martial arts actor. His parents were elephant herders in Thailand and as a kid Tony (his real Thai name is Panom Yeerum) grew up watching the masters: Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li. So, he started imitating and learning the martial arts he saw, combining the styles of those he admired. He became a stunt man and later an actor. He had an interest in Muay Boran, which is an ancient style of Muay Thai (Muay Boran focuses on using 9 weapons: arms, legs, elbows, knees, and head, which is very apparent when watching Tony use it) and the movie Ong Bak was made to showcase his skills. A few months ago John and I picked up the movie because John was so excited about it - he'd seen it with a friend during AIT (training). When you first watch it, your mind is a little left behind trying to grasp the movement and speed Jaa is capable of. Here is a clip from the movie - beware the evil guy flips off the camera and I'm annoyed it's in here, but at least the fight is set to Michael Jackson. Also... it's violent, obviously, since it's martial arts. And it's a fairly cheesy-seeming movie from this clip. *shrug* We're watching for the coolness of the martial arts, not necessarily for the acting...
And now I'm in the mood to listen to Michael Jackson for a while. xD
So, Tony Jaa did a few movies and suddenly he became a Buddhist monk at a temple in Surin, Thailand. I think that is awesome. No one knows how long he will be there. I know that many Buddhist monks are able to accomplish inhuman feats with their martial arts. John and I watched a movie called Wheel of Life. Some Shaolin Buddhist Monks put on a rare performance of their abilities for a live audience. It is AMAZING. Here is a clip - just watch until the little boy does some amazing pole work, that's all I ask. It still leaves me in awe, as I watch. Perhaps Jaa is training with the monks and working toward enlightenment. :)

In any case, I really admire this man. He has achieved so much from such a beautifully humble and simple beginning. It makes me itch to train again. I think I will look into it. Now that my shoulders are doing somewhat better, I should be able to accomplish more. And it's such a rewarding discipline. =)

1 comment:
Man, I need to get Jacob to talk martial arts w/you guys. He totally digs that stuff too. :-)
Post a Comment