Since Johnny left in September, I have spent most of my time with one little creature, my little gray kitty, Miles Prower. We've developed a few new weirdnesses in all this time alone together that I wanted to tell you all. I hope it makes you smile.I've begun consulting him about all major and minor decisions, including what cereal we should have. Since my sleep schedule is so off - due to late night calls with John when he gets out of night class - I sleep really deeply and Miley has realized that the best way to wake me right up is by planting both paws on my head, getting a mouthful of my hair, and pulling back as hard as he can. He's developed a love of string cheese. If I open the cheese drawer in the fridge, his ears prick up, and when he hears the wrapper he comes trotting in excitedly. He's decided that the reflection on the walls from the sun hitting the windows of cars passing by are evil and jumps 3/4 the way up the wall trying to attack them. (My neighbors love me, I'm sure.) He thinks I can't see him hiding in the shower curtain, even if there is a big bulge with a tail, and he jumps out of it to scare me when I walk into the bathroom. He has these little cubes in the hall he can play in and now he lies in wait for me to walk down the hall and grabs my leg as I go past. (I may just meet my Maker someday due to this new hobby.) Whenever I eat a meal (sitting on the couch with a t.v. tray) he is sitting on the arm of the couch next to me -- just in case. We fall asleep watching Conan on the couch together every night waiting for Jo
hnny to call. He cries bloody murder from the bathroom counter and when I walk in he jumps up on my shoulder. Whenever I am cooking or on the phone he has some traumatic problem that needs immediate attention (and if he doesn't get it, he bites my foot). He's even more rebellious now than he used to be; anytime I tell him "no" he runs over and bites my leg and runs crying down the hall. (Maybe he's a teenager in cat years.) I'm supposed to already know the rules to the weird games he likes to play (hide and seek and such) and he lets me know at once if I am cheating (cheating = anything that makes it so Miles can't win). He's been canoodling with the heater vent every cold morning. I walk in and find him sprawled across it rubbing his face affectionately against the little grate while the warm air caresses his fur. His new favorite toy is my makeup brush, which he stole from my makeup bag and carried in to show me, looking like a pirate carrying his sword in his mouth. This picture is him sitting on the side of the tub peering through the crack of the bathroom door, waiting to stick his arm through and poke whoever tries to go in. And, the cutest thing of all: whenever I'm sad or sick or something, he comes over and kisses my hand or my cheek to help me feel better.I'm really lucky to have had such a good buddy looking after me while Johnny is gone. And, hey, John graduates from AIT on February 12, so soon we'll all be together again! :)

3 comments:
See, now THIS is why I love cats. Your cat is nuts, my cats are nuts...but in a totally different way. I love that cats are so distinct in their personalities.
I love that, too! He's practically a person to me, now. I mean, when someone steals one of your fries they gain person-status (even if it is just to lick all the salt off).
He is funny...seems part human. I'm glad you have him. Especially right now.
Post a Comment