Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tuffer Tiney Ahoy (and other updates :)

Firstly, we finally have a functioning shower again!!! For about 3 weeks we've had barely any water coming out of our shower, which has been highly inconvenient. Our dishwasher had also had some issues, as well as our toilet and our swamp cooler (again), so we and the landlord thought there might be a problem with the water in general. Some pipe work had just been done on our street, which could have accounted for some low pressure. We and the landlord asked the other 3 apartments' tenants if they had been experiencing low water pressure and they ALL said they had been. Thus, the landlord had the city test the building's water pressure and check to see if there were any problems leftover from the pipe work. Nope and nope. We just needed a new blinkin' shower head! I don't know what the other tenants' problems are, but that's just annoying. The shower head was so seriously crudded over that only 3 of the holes were allowing out water and thus didn't allow up much water, which made less water pressure and little heat available in that water. And now we have a lovely new shower head that much water comes out of! We feel stupid, but we'll also feel cleaner! :D
Private Johnny acquired 3 more signatures since my last post. He was fairly bold about it, as well (which has been rubbing off on me more and more over the years). When asked why on earth he would want to leave the Guard, he asked what the State gets out of keeping him... he gets straight to the point when necessary. He said that although he is aware the State receives financial support for his service, he feels that he would be more fulfilled in the United States Army. Though it will leave a slot open, there are 7 other soldiers with his same MOS (basically the job he trained for) and during drills he's been given menial tasks, such as going through old boxes, so he won't be leaving them high and dry. And with that, he got three signatures without a fuss. :) Next, he'll need to go with his recruiter to visit the General. That's a pretty big deal - his recruiter has to go along because, as a private, John simply isn't a high enough rank to meet with a General. He's a little nervous and, of course, won't be quite so up front with the General. But, things should go well. :)
I thought I'd include a few random things about myself in this post, since I haven't done that in a while: I have really long toes and I always curl them under my feet as I sit at the computer and then half an hour later I try to flex my feet and my carpet-printed toes scream in pain from being that way too long. :) I love watching the faces of the little boys I teach piano to when I start talking video games with them -- always complete shock and amazement (I am a girl, you know). Speaking of which, when I was a kid I used to turn on Zelda or Metroid and leave it on the menu or paused in my favorite area of the game and do my homework while I listened to the music. :D I had a gum graft surgery a few years ago and I am still so traumatized by the experience that going to the dentist this week for a cleaning brought a huge case of nerves (and I might need a root canal, so it wasn't entirely unjustified). My favorite band from my teenage years is Savage Garden, who sadly only made 3 albums, but they were awesome. :) And recently I got the song "We're Not Gonna Take It" stuck in my head and since then I've been much more... empowered. I'm being less doormat-oriented lately. And it feels awesome to stand up for myself. :) I think I might just have gumption now! =) Wahoo!
Still slow at packing, but moving along in the getting-rid-of-stuff area. The bags to go are growing. And the 1st is tomorrow! Yikes! Soon, Johnny can meet with the General and we'll get things moving. I'll try to get a move on so I don't end up behind. :)

3 comments:

Jiles The Great said...

Glad your shower is working again...that's pretty nasty how much it was covered in guck. Also glad John got more signatures, although it makes me sad cuz that means you guys are just that much closer to moving far, far away from here. :-( And as for you, keep sticking up for yourself, I think you have plenty of gumption!

wisp said...

:D Thanks, Jiles!!! We must have some girl time soon. I am in desperate need! ;)

Di said...

I hate it when the water faucets get all scummy...we've had that in a place or two...yay for feeling cleaner! :D We all thank you :P Glad you're feeling empowered by that song- and way to go John on being honest and getting those signatures- good luck with the General!