
This weekend John was required to attend the state's celebration of Governor's Day. We had never been to it before - I actually hadn't even heard of it before. So, we both slept very little because of our weird graveyard schedule and then headed up in the morning. It was fun trying to scan through all the soldiers and find my Soldier Johnny in the sea of uniforms. Though the event seemed to have very little point, it was cool to see my Johnny in his uniform again - the beret, woohoo! - and to have the helicopters and

planes swoop across the sky above us. It had also been a while since I had stood and placed my hand on my heart, listening to the national anthem. :) I was very proud of my boy down there saluting the flag as the anthem played. The audience was softly singing the words as it played and near the end I joined in, as well. I am so pleased with his decision to serve his country.
Putting on his uniform makes John so excited to get into the active Army. He is longing to be a soldier full-time. :) He is such a stickler for protocol that he clearly belongs in the full-time army. His Sergeants have pointed this out to him several times. No matter which superior officer he's talking to, he always goes to parade rest. Though his superiors are sad to lose a good soldier, they agree that he will do very well on this new path. He got his other signature taken care of, so we are just waiting until after October 1st to get the othe

rs taken care of. Still haven't packed much yet... I confess I hate packing and though I try not to put it off, I just always feel at a loss as to how to start or where to begin. And the days keep going by so quickly with us on our regular schedule, not thinking about packing. We have been putting a lot of stuff to get rid of into big bags to take to DI or Salvation Army or the dump (if need be...) so we haven't been completly useless. ;) We're going to just keep plugging along until we find out more. :)
2 comments:
I think it's awesome how much John loves the military- he'll do great- you both will! As for packing...welllll I guess start with clothes not needed now, except we're right between seasons and you don't know where you're going...hm. Books you won't need for a month or 2? knick-knacks that you want to keep that take so much time at the end to pack- empty the junk drawer... I don't know. I've done it too many times and still don't know how! How much stuff can you have anyway? =)
Sounds like a neat event. Thanks to both of you for your decision to protect our country. YOu will do great!!
Post a Comment