Friday, September 18, 2009

Tribute To Mah Boy!

I know I just posted like 2 days ago, but meh *shrug*. I feel like writing.
I married a boy that was so very different from me. I was the squeaky clean goody-goody and he was the bad boy with a checkered past. I liked fantasy while he liked scifi. And I've just been realizing how different we both are now from back then. How alike we are now. The music of his that used to seem strange I find myself bopping my head to the beat now. We've been reading each other's books for a while now, which has changed me, I know. I really started to understand him when I started reading his favorites. Another difference was that I had always played video games with one hero and most of his favorite games had a team of heroes to look after, so I had to get used to a whole new style of gaming -- which I appreciated because it just helped hone my skills. *totally humble girl...* *aw, forget it - I'm a pretty good gamer, I must say*
One thing that I love about him: a few years ago he played me this gorgeous music and when I asked him more about it, he said it was his "Heaven List" on his ipod. :) Music that sounds like he imagines heaven would feel like. It takes pain and just... extracts it... and helps you heal. So we've both been adding to our heaven list since then.
John also got me to really branch out with cooking. He told me just to try adding different flavors to things and experiment. When I accidentally added a tablespoon of baking soda to a batch of cookies instead of a teaspoon and he liked them (I didn't... kinda bitter), I realized that I'd have to mess up a lot for him to refrain from eating something.
My Johnny hasn't necessarily "gone soft" since we've been married, he's just become so much more gentle and sweet. He's a lot more confident, as well. Since he's begun working in the military he's been so happy. There's a spark to his life that wasn't there before. When he worked as a delivery driver, he seemed so rundown all the time... as if the few hours we had together a day was the only part of the day he didn't loathe. Now he has such a bounce - kind of a marchy bounce - to his step now and it just feels like his world got so much lighter.
Instead of letting Geology be just something I liked, he really took an interest and learned about it and would get excited with me. He'd find out when local rock shows were going on and whisk me off to it and we'd marvel over the azurite and pyritized ammonites and the prehnite. :) His favorite mineral is fluorite - he loves it and he can always tell when he sees it. The last rock show we went to, I got him three awesome pieces of fluorite with a couple of different crystal structures to them. It really meant a lot to me that he'd care about rocks for me. =)
The main goal of my life is just to be as good of a wife for him as he is a husband for me. Cause, yeah, it's true he's had a lot of trouble rinsing dishes *mutter mutter* but I'll see him try so hard to remember. And it can be frustrating that we're both so blasted cluttery and people always stop by when things are at their clutteriest. But, he always tells me to look outside when the clouds are being amazing. And he'll just gush about my cooking and make me turn red and giggly even though he doesn't have to and it probably tastes the same as the last time I made it.
He's my favorite.
I'm excited to go from place to place with him and to see how we grow and the things we learn and discover. I'm never going to get tired of finding ways to make him laugh. :)

3 comments:

Di said...

You guys are such a great example of why marriage is meant to be eternal, I can't imagine you ever NOT having each other!

wisp said...

:) Thanks, Di. I can't imagine that, either. :)

Emily said...

Love this post and also loved that you started it with the word "meh.
miss you!