So, being sick lasted a little longer than I thought it would. And midterms have been this week, which means my mouth hurts because I chew on my cheeks in my sleep when I'm stressed out. It's been rough the past while.The job search moves on steadily. No leads yet, but we're hoping that something will be the right fit soon.
I've realized lately how glad I am that I changed my major from English to Geology. The group work and papers, the grammar and punctuation, the presentations almost weekly... I hadn't missed it. In Historical Geology I had to give a presentation, but it was about the Chengjiang Shale in China and its awesome fossilized worms (I made it a point to accentuate that in the presentation). Who minds giving a presentation about fossils? "Not meh." I hadn't thought about semicolons and comma splices for over a year. And then the Technical Communications class arrived on the horizon and I decided to get it over with. Now prepositional phrases are again in my everyday thoughts. It's not difficult for me; I'm doing well in the class. It strikes me -- I was majoring in English because it was easy. I was good at it, it offered little challenge, and I liked to read. Those were my basic reasons.
I watched a movie called Farmer's Daughter, starring Loretta Young, a lot as a kid. This country girl from Sweden decides to become a politician and run for office. Som
e incorrect information that slurs her character is printed in the paper. So, she gives up and goes home. Her boyfriend/other politician is talking to her father and tells him, "I thought it would be the easiest thing for her." And her father looks at him and says in a thick accent, "The easiest thing? The easiest thing would have been not to come to America. The easiest thing would be to leave my fields unplowed. The easiest thing??? Sometimes, the easiest thing is not the best thing, if you ask me." It hit me hard when I was little. It made me appreciate work. Because nothing worthwhile can be attained without it. So, I'm glad I left the easy path to walk and went for the practically vertical path of Geology with its calculus, chemistry, physics, and mineralogy. It's really hard. I won't lie. I should be studying for my Chem. test right now. But, now I feel so much more... fulfilled. It feels like I'm growing my wings.
2 comments:
I love how excited you are about your major, I hope you can always keep that and be able to use it! Hm, I don't think I've ever seen that movie...maybe I'll have to.
You so have to see this movie! Maybe one night we could have a girls night or something and watch it. I mean, it's Loretta Young! With a Swedish accent!
Post a Comment