Monday, July 7, 2008

Cardboard boxes and sore muscles

Well, it's getting to be moving time for us again. It's so stressful! But, this comic's gotten me in the mood to clean and pack! (Credit goes to Tatsuya Ishida, the creator of sinfest.net.) We probably have an apartment to move to, but I'm still nervous it will fall through somehow. We've looked at several already. One was quite decent, but the dust and mold covering the swamp cooler we knew would make our allergies flare up all the time. We also saw a "2 bedroom" in which one bedroom would probably only fit our bed and had no closet and the other was an upstairs room with slanted ceilings you can't stand up in and no heat. All the other rooms were tiny (the kitchen had no counter space, too, which I need desperately). $700 a month, people. Oi. Then I start thinking that the expensive ghetto apartments ($825 a month) with the flocks of children trying your door constantly, the gunshots, and one building that already had a major fire might be okay for another year. (Until another fist fight breaks out downstairs or five car alarms go off at the same time because some dork trying to compensate for something drives by with his bass blaring.) Not to mention the underhandedness of the management. If rent is late, it's at least $85. To move out early, it's $1200. And I think it's the only place in the area that requires 60 days notice or they automatically sign you up for another year. So, most people that tried to give 30 days notice and hate living here move out in the night and take the eviction because it costs less. *sigh*
The apartment we have found is closer to my parents and close to a bus stop. I'd only have to take one bus to school, too, instead of making a transfer. I'm looking forward to it. I like fresh starts. No one knows you and you can decide how much you want to be known. It's refreshing and gives me a chance to reinvent myself. I like to keep changing. I never want my soul to hold still and slump into stagnation. I don't want to be just the same as I was years ago. I want my favorite colors to change and my taste in music to evolve. I love trying new flavors and feelings. I've found that when I'm tasting something new, if I clear my mind of any expectation, I usually like what I'm tasting. If I decide what it will be beforehand, I'm always disappointed.
So, here's to trying something new. I think I'm up for it.

No comments: