When John and I were engaged, we were both unemployed and poor. We wanted to be together all the time, but we couldn't afford to go to dinner or to the movies. So, we created 2 traditions. One is our Game. The rules are that you have to ask the other person a question you don't know about them, like, "What did you want to be for Halloween that you never got to be?" or something like that. And the other person has to answer and has to tell the truth. It's still fun trying to think up good questions. :DThe other tradition is reading to each other. We each chose our most favorite book for the first one. Mine was The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. John's was Ender's Game. We'd take turns reading a chapter to each other. And we've been doing it ever since. There have been one or two books that we realized are just not for aloud reading and set them aside. Lately, John ha
s been reading to me a lot if I've been feeling sick or stressed out. We just finished reading The Mysterious Benedict Society that a little girl - the daughter of a soldier-buddy - let us borrow, promising we'd love it. And we really did. Now we're reading a Peter S. Beagle book. He's been becoming one of my favorite authors for a while now. You become completely unaware of him; he disappears into the words. Other authors I've read are ever-present and using the words, instead of telling a story, to say, "Look at what a good writer I am." I always want to swat these writers away and end up giving away their books. Any couples out there that are a bit financially embarrassed - as we were for 6 years of marriage and our engagement before that - I'd suggest trying this out. You learn more about the o
ther person from reading what they read. :)I've been discovering my musical niche more lately. Basically alternative with an edge, like Paper Tongues, Meese, Relient K, Snow Patrol, or Dragonforce... While I've been going through fun side effects from medications - been trying a new one for my stomach this week that's been making me more and more sick (I stopped taking it) - I've been evaporating into the music and letting it soothe me. There's definitely a hard side and a soft side to it... Both are necessary. Like an egg needs a shell. (It's not like crazy metal hard or something... I said egg not walnut.) Anyway... it's like lately I've been becoming more and more myself. :) Sinking into it. Letting it be vital.
And of course Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth have been helping. (Destination Truth's season just ended, blast it.) I think ev
eryone needs a branch of themselves leafing out into the supernatural. I do, in any case. The unexplainable feeds my imagination so it can stay alive and healthy. I love thinking that maybe the Jersey Devil is out in the forest. That the Loch Ness Monster is lurking in those underwater tunnels somewhere. Sure, the scientific side asks me, "Seriously???" But I don't care. Like it says in Secondhand Lions, "Just because something isn't true doesn't mean you can't believe in it." So, whether there's a Djinn inhabiting Petra or not, I like to believe there is. It's so fun. :D It's luscious, actually. ;)
2 comments:
I love it! Brandon just started reading Lord of the Rings to me. I enjoy it so so much! I know Brandon misses both of you so so much. As do I. I'm glad life is so great!
Thank you sis. My Johnny and I walk the dog every night together, but we were looking at another way to spend time together. :)
Post a Comment