Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bunny

Well, after depressing everyone I thought I'd write about something I love. :) My lil brudder. =D
Growing up, Brandon was my best friend. We did everything together. We played GI Joes, Hot Wheels, horses, cowboys... I learned early on that he simply could not stoop to Barbies so I accepted it. ;) We watched Silverado almost daily for a while. And Hacksaw and The Black Stallion. He had a brown stickhorse and I had a pink one and we'd ride them around the house with dramatic plot lines. We had a rule that if you were only knocked unconscious by a daring adventure you looked asleep, but if you were dead your tongue would be sticking out. lol For some reason we thought that happened when you died - I'm thinking Looney Toons may have had a hand in that concept. XD We also played on the swingset all the time. There was a teeter-totter on it that was our metal horse and his name was Lightning.
At school we both had our friends and Brandon was usually playing sports cause he was born with that natural ability to throw far and catch things that I missed out on in the genetic lottery. (Which has been a great source of amusement to him all our lives.) I never really knew where he was at recess, unless I got hurt. And then he'd materialize next to me and help me to the principal's office to call Mom. He was brotherly in the way that he was the only one that could pick on me. ;) He was always there for me. Honestly, he's always been more like a big brother that way.
Saturday mornings he'd come snuggle under the covers with me and we'd read our books for a while. Usually until we startled jangling over one of us being on the other's "side." XD And during the summers we'd have movie days and we could rent a video and we'd get Chick-o-Sticks and Bottlecaps and Butterfingers and pretend like we were at a theater in the family room. And then there were the epic cartoons we watched faithfully. Rescue Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Gummi Bears then later X-Men, Spiderman, and Batman. Repeat: Epic. Brandon's favorite turtle was Donatello and mine was Leonardo. (Just, fyi, John's fav was Michelangelo. But, we all love you, Raph! You're John's fav now.)
As we got to be teenagers, we both got moody and weird as teens do and bickered a lot. We had moved right before our teens and we both had a lot of trouble adjusting. As Brandon got older he was less of a sports guy and more academic. He also conquered the world of academia - he's in law school now. He's always had extremely high standards for himself and I don't think he knows how far and away he's exceeded any expectations.
We ended up both going to BYU together for a while. Seeing each other on campus was always fun. Though I'd see his friends more and they'd ask me where he was and I'd tell them that supposedly he goes to this school. :-7 He was always working hard. And he dated a few girls that either turned weird or broke his heart.
And then he met Emily. And the happy little kid I knew came through the stressed-out student some more. Yet at the same time he was suddenly so grown up. So happy. He was always doing things to show her how special she is to him. I had to move before his wedding and that just killed me. We'd been around each other our whole lives - especially when it counted. And then I couldn't be there for him. I will always be sorry I wasn't there. I'm so glad he's happy and in love and she's taking care of him. It felt less like deserting him that way.
I wish I had a picture of him as a little kid to post. In all the world to this day there's no cuter little kid that's ever been. Round little head with chubby cheeks and blonde hair and a sunny smile. When he was a baby he couldn't say my name, so he'd say just Tine. Which evolved to Tiney. So I decided to take the "rand" out of him name and call him Bun, which in turn evoled to Bunny. So, he'd rhyme mine with his so I am Tunny and he is Bunny. I miss him a lot a lot. (I meant to write it twice.) I even miss him calling me dumb randomly or making fun of my laugh. I definitely miss trying to steal his sock off his foot like a ninja with quickness. (I usually don't get it, but when I do it's funny.)
Anyway, Bun, I didn't know I'd miss you this bad. But I really really do. Thanks for being my best friend and always being there for me. I love you so so so so much. And in conclusion, his victory song when he'd waste me and John at 007 on the Nintendo 64:
The man with the golden gun!!!!

7 comments:

Brandon said...

Well, first of all, I don't know how I feel about you writing all of this on the world wide web. Goo. And I swear you never watched Silverado with me all that much and rarely would ride stickhorses with me, you were always playing barbies and house and stuff. i miss you too, and you only got my sock once. But, I am, and always will be, the man with the golden gun!

Anonymous said...

Aww that is awesome. I love hearing the funny little quirky things siblings do "I'm ready for wintertime." Things that make you smile, turn a horrible day into a not so horrible day (to do this you need two sobe drinks, a pair of googles, everclear on the radio and of course, my brother John). Battletoads will always be my most memorable game, but more than anything, those soft golden brownish eyes so warm with love, compassion, understanding, nonjudgemental stare that looks right past you and deep into your soul. A warm fuzzy that just wont go away. Aren't brothers the best!!!

wisp said...

Brandon - Well, no other living being has watched Silverado as much as you have. ;) And Mom will back me up on the stickhorses cause we drove her crazy. :D I may have only gotten the sock once, but, oh, the victory was sweet!!! So, I guess I'm the girl with the golden bullet? XD

Sis - Brothers are the best. Your brother is a sweetie and I so understand about the eyes. We miss you terribly. :'( *huggles*

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Emily made a very well reasond decision when she agreed to spend her time with Brandon. We concur

Spyder said...

Ah, Battletoads. Such a retarded concept that was executed wonderfully. And Everclear: Seriously the soundtrack of my life. Art Alexakis takes the most depressing subject matter and plays happy music to it. I hope I'm like that. After all, it's a brother's job to do everything we can to make our sisters feel better!

Anonymous said...

I think of you everytime I listen to my CD. Yes, I still have the one you bought me. John, you are an amazing brother. So strong, yet so gentle. I was truely blessed to have you as my little brother. :)

Emily said...

that's my hubby :)
can't wait to see you Christine! and john!