I had a religion teacher once that used to ask questions more than anything - kinda like Socrates. His questions were awesome, the sort that really make you think. One that asked has stuck with me more than any other. He looked around the room and asked, "What is it like to be with you?"Since then - I was like 18 or 19 at the time - I will ask myself that periodically through my life. I'll think about people I love to be around and how they behave and how they treat me and then I think about my own behavior and my treatment of others. I know that I don't want to be the conversation dominating person or the whiny person or the person that makes other people feel bad about themselves. I want to be a good listener - but tell HILARIOUS stories ;) - and I want to be positive and help people to feel like they sparkle. I want them to feel that I do care about them and they are important to me. Of course, it's a work in progress. (I work on my hilarity frequently, but John doesn't seem to understand the stories or something...;)
I also want to make sure that I'm always in touch with who I am - what things are changing about me and what new things there are about me. Like how recently I discovered that I despise turtlenecks. Or, on a less weird topic, that I love learning about different foods and how excited I am to cook with them. For instance, the day I cook with saffron will be a wonderful day. And vanilla beans - I am seriously chomping at the bit to get to slice down the side of that thing and scrape the seeds out with the blunt edge of my knife and beat them into something decadent. *le sigh* (That sigh is from the kitty that Pepe le Pieu is always chasing - she's always
saying "le mew" "le meow" "le purrr" because she's a French kitty and somewhere along the line I decided to say "le sigh." I LOVE that kitty, so...) Also, importantly, who I am through all the changes: that chick always adores Stevie Wonder!!!John has also been noticing things about me that I might not have realized. He says that I have a strong sense of justice. And that I can be fierce about it. :) I have a feeling Brandon - my soon-to-be-lawyer lil brudda - had a lot to do with it. He didn't let me pull anything when we were kids, everything had to be fair between us and since we did everything together, justice was always present. (Except that time he prayed to win the board game we were playing. That was SO NOT fair. He "doesn't remember." *raises eyebrow*) Also, Brandon always magically appeared when I got hurt on the playground because he was my brother and felt that was his duty. And he always fulfills his duty. :)
John has also seen that I am the girliest tomboy born on this Earth - I'm a brilliant gamer that needs pink socks and adorableness all about me while I'm whipping the boys at the fighter games. Except my brothers. The force is much stronger with them and they schooled me repeatedly growing up. Some day!!! *shakes fist in t
he air* Their days as the top gamers are numbered. (That doesn't mean 007, though. Brandon has become the dark lord of 007, singing "The Man With The Golden Gun" at the top of his lungs as my screen goes dark.) (And yes they are responsible for me using terms like "the force.") And I will be forever grateful to Michael for introducing me to Samus when I was little - because she was a girl I felt like I could be anything!
John tells me the funny things I've picked up from my parents: like listing all possible options for dinner like my mom does or stacking the spoons in the drawer like my dad does - I've tried to stop stacking but I keep going back to it. It's a sickness... all the different sizes of spoons stacked in such splendor gives me heart some joy and I will not deny myself any longer! I also have my older brother's sarcasm and silliness and my older sister's ability to be excited and happy about little things - even when times are bad - which changes the whole problematic world around me. And I got Melinda's love for fruit snacks (it's important to us) and her ability to make the dumbest things so fun! (At least, I think so. *cheesy grin*) She and I danced like fraggles to Rock The Casbah in the car one day and to this time I cannot hear the song without pulling it out, much to John's delight and Miles's annoyance (Miles hates fraggles). (If you don't know what fraggles are you are too young and must google it, for they were a joy of the '80s.)
So, to sum up: the person I am is actually this conglomeration (Geology term that I just relish using in everyday speech) of my experiences, but moreso all of the awesome people I've known that have changed me and made me a cooler person. :-7 I know that my cool-meter is far from cool, though, so it's a
good thing that soon I'll be meeting a whole bunch of new people. I'll miss my friends (family also = friends) here a lot, but "there are friends everywhere, right?" (quote from The Perfect Man) The main thing I'm going to do is try to stay open to other people. I've always tried to understand why they like something - even things I don't like that much - so I understand them better. And I usually end up liking those things, too. Much music has been added to the ipod this way.
So, here's to shaping, eh? Cheers.
he air* Their days as the top gamers are numbered. (That doesn't mean 007, though. Brandon has become the dark lord of 007, singing "The Man With The Golden Gun" at the top of his lungs as my screen goes dark.) (And yes they are responsible for me using terms like "the force.") And I will be forever grateful to Michael for introducing me to Samus when I was little - because she was a girl I felt like I could be anything!John tells me the funny things I've picked up from my parents: like listing all possible options for dinner like my mom does or stacking the spoons in the drawer like my dad does - I've tried to stop stacking but I keep going back to it. It's a sickness... all the different sizes of spoons stacked in such splendor gives me heart some joy and I will not deny myself any longer! I also have my older brother's sarcasm and silliness and my older sister's ability to be excited and happy about little things - even when times are bad - which changes the whole problematic world around me. And I got Melinda's love for fruit snacks (it's important to us) and her ability to make the dumbest things so fun! (At least, I think so. *cheesy grin*) She and I danced like fraggles to Rock The Casbah in the car one day and to this time I cannot hear the song without pulling it out, much to John's delight and Miles's annoyance (Miles hates fraggles). (If you don't know what fraggles are you are too young and must google it, for they were a joy of the '80s.)
So, to sum up: the person I am is actually this conglomeration (Geology term that I just relish using in everyday speech) of my experiences, but moreso all of the awesome people I've known that have changed me and made me a cooler person. :-7 I know that my cool-meter is far from cool, though, so it's a
good thing that soon I'll be meeting a whole bunch of new people. I'll miss my friends (family also = friends) here a lot, but "there are friends everywhere, right?" (quote from The Perfect Man) The main thing I'm going to do is try to stay open to other people. I've always tried to understand why they like something - even things I don't like that much - so I understand them better. And I usually end up liking those things, too. Much music has been added to the ipod this way.So, here's to shaping, eh? Cheers.

1 comment:
I (this is mega capitalized) think you're hilarious, good job :>
Post a Comment