Thursday, May 7, 2009

Are they on me???

So, last night was a little traumatic for me. It was about 12:30 a.m. and I was messaging with Johnny and another friend on Facebook. I had the bathroom and kitchen windows open to let a breeze go through and cool down the apartment. Miles made a little meow sound, so I intended to go get him a drink in a minute. Then I heard a bang followed by a loud crash. I ran in and saw that the porcelain toilet brush stand was broken on the floor and Miles was trotting out of the room. I figured he'd been trying to get up on the high window sill to look outside. I reached up to close it and realized I was reaching through a bunch of web. I slammed the window and pulled my hands back; they had baby spiders running over them. I put my hands under running water and then looked back at the window. More baby spiders were swarming up and down the wall. I grabbed my handy Windex and sprayed until it couldn't spray anymore. Then I wiped up all the spiders. It took a while to find them all. There had been some I couldn't see on the pane of glass that kept falling onto the sill. I put tape around the window, as well, to block them out. I have a spider thing and an ant thing - they give me the heebie-jeebies - and this kinda combined the two. *shudder* I cleaned up the broken glass and checked my kitty-boy over for cuts or shards embedded in him. He seemed unscathed, thankfully. I'll admit I did cry and get fairly hysterical. This always happens when I am home alone at night!
When we lived in Mapleton, I thought I heard a knock at the door. I opened it and checked, but no one was there. After I shut the door, I noticed a giant wolf spider had darted in and stood right in the threshold on the disgustingly orange carpet. It looked a little lumpy. I grabbed my shoe nearby and slammed it down on the spider. When I lifted up my shoe, baby spiders - which I quickly learned wolf spiders carry on their backs - were spreading everywhere. I tore across the house and got the vacuum and started sucking them into it. I had to use the hose to get the mother -- which was still alive and running across the room. I vacuumed for like half an hour, crying frantically because I didn't want them all over me. Again, home alone at night.
When I was like 3 years old, I unknowingly stood on an ant hill and had them swarm up my legs, biting me like crazy. I stood there screaming and terrified and have not liked things crawling on me since (primarily spiders, ants, and earwigs).
I'm just glad Miles got me in there before they spread everywhere! They had almost made it into my shower curtain and towels as it was. I did let John know that I may or may not have gotten Windex all over the walls, shower curtain, and towels. ;) My little brother was very supportive to me at 1:30 a.m. on the phone when I was mostly done with the ordeal (he had the idea of taping off the window to keep the rest outside).
Maybe someday I'll get used to them or something. I admit it is an irrational fear and I can almost agree with John's declaration that jumping spiders are the teddy bears of the spider world. As it stands now, however, I feel towards spiders like Indiana Jones feels towards snakes. "Why'd it have to be snakes???"

1 comment:

Jiles The Great said...

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew I am so traumatized for you!!!!! I don't think I would have handled that as well, honestly. Seriously, good thinking w/the windex. GROSS, I hope you don't have any more spiders trying to invade your apartment!