Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Good news. =)

Zoe doesn't need surgery anymore (for now). =D
We took her in and the vet sedated her and felt her knee and recommended we see a specialist.  So, we drove the 1.5 hours to the specialist (MUCH meowing in the car during that time) and he had a look at her knees.  He said that it seemed like she had a luxating patella probably just due to the way her bones are shaped and that it would probably ultimately affect both knees, so we might need to have surgery done for the right one as well.  He told us it really depends on her quality of life.  For 2 weeks her kneecap had slipped several times causing her to limp and lay down but then for a week it hadn't slipped at all.  We attributed this to that she's been being careful and decided to do the surgery so she would be able to walk and play without problems.  But, John's work schedule was crazy and we were having trouble finding a time to schedule the surgery and after another week or so she still hadn't had any problems, even though she'd started running around and jumping more.  We needed to get her shots before having her spend the night at the surgery center and when we talked to our vet about it he didn't think it would be necessary, then.  He said the reason to have surgery is to help her be able to walk and get around.  He suggested we talk to the surgeon to see what he thought and when we did he was in complete agreement that if her quality of life is good and she is able to run around then we shouldn't do the surgery.  He said that she's found a way to compensate for her knee and that it might become a problem again later on or it might not.  Today she has even been jumping up into the window sills again. :)  I'm very relieved that she won't need any pins put in her knee because I really didn't want her to have to go through that.
Confession: I am afraid of the dentist.  Gum graft surgery will do that. Haha.  So, I hadn't been for a while and decided to rectify that.  Unsurprisingly, I need fillings.  I inherited my mother's very soft, sensitive teeth.  And the fillings I'd had before weren't doing very well and some weren't done very well so that they hang over the edge of my tooth and frequently cut through floss.  So, I went and had a couple done yesterday.  It hurt less during the appointment and more after the numbness wore off than I remembered.  I'll still have a couple more visits to do before I'm caught up with what I need done.  They are making me a night guard because I clench my jaw in my sleep and now have TMJ and the guard should help protect my joint and teeth.  I also learned that people with sinus problems often clench their teeth in their sleep because it can open up the sinuses better. o.o  I found that very interesting!  Also, my anxiety can cause it when I am stressed.  Lots of fun. ;)
In other news, we are adopting a kitten. =D  She is a sweet little calico named Patches.  We are adopting her from a really nice family that are foster parents for kitties that need a home.  Patches is getting screened just to make sure she doesn't have any communicable illness that could be passed on to Zoe, but one of the kitties from the litter was screened earlier and was healthy so Patches will most probably be healthy, too.  We're so excited!  Zoe has been so lonely.  She frequently sleeps by Miles's carrier or by the jacket John was wearing when he last held him and it breaks our hearts.  She also has been demanding laser pointer time very frequently and we feel her relationship with the red dot is becoming unhealthy.  And we think it's been enough time for enough healing to happen that hopefully the transition from a one-kitty home to a two-kitty home will be as smooth as it can be. :)  There will be pictures.  Oh.  There will be pictures.
For now, here is the cutie girl Zoe today. =)

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Ms Wisp. I'm so glad to hear your good news (Zoe and Patches) but not so glad to hear about your dental visit :( I had my share of fillings in my youth, and have developed a strong dislike for the smell and sound of the dentist drill. [I would use other language besides "strong dislike" but this is a public forum, and also I have two brothers who are dentists, so I must be gentle here.] ... All the best to you with your continuing dental care and in the adoption process for Patches.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

So glad Zoe won't have to have surgery, and that she will have a new friend soon!

megkuhle said...

Aww I'm glad Zoe doesn't have to have surgery (hopefully not down the road either!) That is so great! Also fun fact: TMJ is actually called TMJD D for Disorder, cause everyone has a TMJ.. :) haha nerdy thing I learned in massage school! But now you know also!