Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grapefruit Friends

I've been avoiding calling my family. It's because I miss them so much. I know what you're thinking - this makes no sense. But, I want them to think I'm doing just fine and not worry about me, and if I call them and cry because I miss them so much... that hurts the "I'm fine"-ness.
I already wrote about my lil brudder earlier and in honor of Father's Day, I want to write about my dad. I haven't told him a lot how much he means to me cause we've always been around each other and it didn't seem that... necessary, I guess. But, now it's necessary.
My dad is from Idaho. He will always be a cowboy. I love that my dad wears a cowboy hat and boots every day. He has always reminded me of John Wayne. Because he's from the country, he is not afraid of working hard. Actually, it bothers him if he isn't working hard. He makes the most of what he has. And he likes to drink milk - even at a fancy restaurant.
When I was little, I pretended to like grapefruit so we could share one for breakfast. He'd get it all ready and I'd put a lot of sugar on it and eat it. I liked being his special grapefruit friend. Hahaha. We also used to mix grape juice and lemonade together - I still love that to drink. I found some cranberry blackberry juice at the store here and was so sad I couldn't share it with him.
I married a guy just like him, too. They both need the light switches to match up and to get every little bit of cereal out of the bowl. The markers for our fridge marker board are lined up impeccably and I saw them today and missed my dad. He and John used to talk and talk. They have so much in common. My dad was in the Army, as well. He went to Korea during the Vietnam War. So, they swap stories and laugh or get very solemn depending on the experience.
Actually, I'm just like my dad, too. It's why we clashed a bit when I was a teenager. We're so alike that we can interfere with the other.
I don't know when I stopped seeing him as a dad and started seeing him as a person. But I feel so protective of him now. He seems like a tough cowboy - and he is - but he also has a very sensitive side that I want to make sure is never hurt. When my sister and my horse (she owned the front end, I owned the back end... comes of being born later), A Royal Whisper, passed away, it was so hard for him to tell us. He was so worried about telling Melinda and how sad she would be. The one sure-fire thing on this earth that will make me cry every time is seeing my dad cry. Even thinking about it, honestly.
I love that he listens to yodeling. =D I like music with yodeling now because of it. I've got the Rolling Stone of Texas on my ipod. xD When we were little, Brandon and I would sing Oh, Pretty Woman with my dad, too. Brandon got so good at that growl-thing that Roy Orbison does. And we'd watch westerns all the time.
My dad has a gift with animals. He had a pet bull as a kid that he'd sit with and lean against. And his first horse was named Prince and he was my dad's best friend for a time. And my dad's horse that passed away a few years ago - Rhythm & Blues - he loved my dad so much. They'd go galloping in the mountains together so excited. And Whisper would follow them wanting to go home and Cobra would try to beat them and then scurry back behind RB cause he didn't like to be in front. (And cause he's afraid of cows. Brandon helps him to be brave, though. Hahaha.)
I wish I had the picture of him holding me as a baby to post on here. He looks really happy. He's holding me like I'm a precious, delicate little bundle. It's my favorite picture of us. (Though, the one of us winning the Twist competition at my Youth Conference is 2nd. :D )
I'm really homesick. And I wish I could just go to my parents house, unlock the back door (cause they are cautious folk xD ), go inside and have spaghetti together and then watch Murder, She Wrote. I only left so that we could take care of ourselves a little better. But, we'll be back to visit soon. And we'll have some yodeling and fun. =D

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

That was a great tribute to your dad. He is a great guy.

Emily said...

Sigh...that was very sweet. Being away is hard, huh? It does get easier luckily. BUt, I still do get the craving to just go to my parents house and plop on the couch and be their kid. Like I'm having the craving right now after reading your post. :)

Jiles The Great said...

I have very vivid memories of going to see the horses when we were young and watching how happy and at ease your dad was when he was around them. :-)