Well, a LOT has happened this week. Things had been move along smoothly and steadily. And then my cell phone rang and a woman told me that the housing they had informed us was ready we wouldn't be able to have at all and there wouldn't be anything else until February. I stammered a little, trying to explain that we had purchased John's plane ticket a day earlier, that we'd given our landlord notice, that the movers are scheduled, that John had acquired leave to come and get me. Apparently she didn't realize that John was already at Fort Bragg, so she decided to try to call him again. I broke down in sobs, I won't deny it. John called me a few minutes later. "Well, they know I'm not happy," he told me -- always the hero. :) He told me that we might be able to get into a smaller 2-bedroom apartment. This was sad for us because he had gone through the model home of what we would have moved in to one day prior to this catastrophe. The kitchen had been enormous, there was an u
pstairs and downstairs, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a deck... He went and looked at the smaller place we might be able to get that night. Down to 1 bathroom and a kitchen that is just big enough to open the oven. It's a big disappointment, but it's of course better than nowhere to live.
The soldier that had lived in the place we'd have gotten is deployed currently and his wife is somewhere else, but they left all of their stuff there. I have a feeling they did it so they could keep their housing. That's really mangy of them, though, to expect their housing to stay theirs for a solid year when no one lives there. The housing office is going to keep trying to get in touch with them so they can still get us the place, but chances are very slim. I almost don't want it anymore, to be honest. Before, it was exciting... now it's just an ordeal and I just want somewhere to live.
And this morning the movers called to see if they could come by and assess everything so they know what kind of truck and how many boxes. After frantically trying to put things into some kind of order - and pretty much succeeding - I walked the man through the apartment and showed him what will be going and what we will be getting rid of (we'll get rid of a lot more now). He was very nice and explained how everything would work and helped me feel a lot better. The other wrench in the gears is that I will need to be here while things are being packed on the 12th, so my parents will be picking John up at the airport. His flight arrives in the middle of the day and I don't want to ask someone that lives closer or knows the airport well to take a day off of work, so one or both of my parents will go and take their cell phones with them and find him. :)
Yesterday I had my last lessons with the family my very first student belongs to. I took them Christmas presents and hugged them all goodbye. However, the littlest one - about 7 years old - didn't let go. And didn't. She squeezed harder as her siblings attempted to pry her off of me. After quite a kerfuffle I was disentangled and had to exit the house with the siblings bidding me farewell but holding the little one back while she cried and screamed "no no no no!" after me. The other 2 girls walked with me to the car and just as I got to it, the little one bravely poked her head out the door and called goodbye to me. Poor little bear. My kidneys are protesting painfully today from all the stress this week and the squeezing, but it's actually a good distraction. Gets my mind off of worry and onto treatment.
So, John will arrive on the 12th amidst the packing, packing will continue through the 13th, and the movers will head out on the 14th and we will clean this apartment. Then we'll check things out with the landlord and hit the road. I don't know if we'll be able to see anybody... John only has so many days of leave (I think it's 10, but I'm not sure) and we've got a country to cross. ;) I might not be able to post again until we are in North Carolina and our computer and other things arrive, so if that's the case: here we go! :) Wish us luck!
We'll see you on the other side. =)
pstairs and downstairs, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a deck... He went and looked at the smaller place we might be able to get that night. Down to 1 bathroom and a kitchen that is just big enough to open the oven. It's a big disappointment, but it's of course better than nowhere to live.The soldier that had lived in the place we'd have gotten is deployed currently and his wife is somewhere else, but they left all of their stuff there. I have a feeling they did it so they could keep their housing. That's really mangy of them, though, to expect their housing to stay theirs for a solid year when no one lives there. The housing office is going to keep trying to get in touch with them so they can still get us the place, but chances are very slim. I almost don't want it anymore, to be honest. Before, it was exciting... now it's just an ordeal and I just want somewhere to live.
And this morning the movers called to see if they could come by and assess everything so they know what kind of truck and how many boxes. After frantically trying to put things into some kind of order - and pretty much succeeding - I walked the man through the apartment and showed him what will be going and what we will be getting rid of (we'll get rid of a lot more now). He was very nice and explained how everything would work and helped me feel a lot better. The other wrench in the gears is that I will need to be here while things are being packed on the 12th, so my parents will be picking John up at the airport. His flight arrives in the middle of the day and I don't want to ask someone that lives closer or knows the airport well to take a day off of work, so one or both of my parents will go and take their cell phones with them and find him. :)
Yesterday I had my last lessons with the family my very first student belongs to. I took them Christmas presents and hugged them all goodbye. However, the littlest one - about 7 years old - didn't let go. And didn't. She squeezed harder as her siblings attempted to pry her off of me. After quite a kerfuffle I was disentangled and had to exit the house with the siblings bidding me farewell but holding the little one back while she cried and screamed "no no no no!" after me. The other 2 girls walked with me to the car and just as I got to it, the little one bravely poked her head out the door and called goodbye to me. Poor little bear. My kidneys are protesting painfully today from all the stress this week and the squeezing, but it's actually a good distraction. Gets my mind off of worry and onto treatment.
So, John will arrive on the 12th amidst the packing, packing will continue through the 13th, and the movers will head out on the 14th and we will clean this apartment. Then we'll check things out with the landlord and hit the road. I don't know if we'll be able to see anybody... John only has so many days of leave (I think it's 10, but I'm not sure) and we've got a country to cross. ;) I might not be able to post again until we are in North Carolina and our computer and other things arrive, so if that's the case: here we go! :) Wish us luck!
We'll see you on the other side. =)

4 comments:
I've been thinking about you the last few days! Let me know if there is anything I can help with and thank you oh so much for the books! Brandon was a little disgruntled when I said I wanted to keep all of them :)
Good luck with everything. Sorry it's been so difficult, but you will make through even stronger.
I'm sorry about the housing, but I'm glad you have SOMETHING and that you don't have to wait to see John any more. :-) I will miss you a LOT, but I know this is what's best for you guys and I'm happy for you. I will get out there one of these days and we will go ghost hunting.
MISS YOU!!!!!
Post a Comment