Today was a weird day. John's recruiter needed to copy some of our important records and such, so we went up there today. John warned me ahead of time that this guy is a good recruiter, but that he can be a bit of a jerk sometimes. I was ready for it, but you know how some guys like to embarrass someone in front of his wife by being really rude to him? Yeah, that started happening.It began with him telling my husband, "You're not too bright," because John hadn't been aware you can't use the same person as a reference for two different things. I don't think it warranted that, but John's a private and this guy was a Sargeant First Class, so they kind of just have to take it from them. If they retort back, they can receive disciplinary action. He kept making waspish remarks like that, "If you had read the directions done it right the FIRST time" and such. I started getting annoyed when he gave me one of those maniacal grins and asked me, "Don't you just love being a private's wife?" I gave him a sarcastic laugh with a glare to let him know I wasn't amused.
Then he starts working with another guy and lets us sit there waiting. This other guy was wondering about getting a bonus. The recruiter turned to us and called my husband by our last name and asked if he cares about a bonus. John responded that he didn't and the recruiter said that John knows to answer like that because he'd punch him in the face if he didn't. Then he looks squarely at me with that same I'm-enjoying-this expression and said, "You know I'd punch him in the face, right? I'd punch him in the face!" and he and the other guys start laughing.
Note: do not push Christine. She doesn't like it and is not afraid of confrontation and will use whatever terminology the
other party needs to hear to get the message through.I was laying back comfortably in my chair, my arm hanging down at my side. I merely turned my head to look more squarely back at him and said calmly, "Honestly, if you did I'd take it to your balls." All speaking in the small building ceased and another Sargeant's head popped out of his cubicle to see what had happened. It was a bit uncouthe of me, but I needed to shock him out of his little ego trip. (I told my mother and she even agreed I needed to be harsh with him, which surprised me.) Flustered as a couple of the other guys started laughing, he was like, "Why ya gotta take it all personal?" still playing it off like we're joking around. I shrugged and said, "I'm a woman, I take everything personally."
He finished up with the other guy and came over and was very respectful and congenial and even apologized a little bit, explaining he was covering for some other Sargeants that are out of town and very stressed today. I let it laugh off and we finished things up on a good note. He just needed to understand that though my husband is a private, I am not and if he pushes at me I can and will push back. I don't think there will be any more unprofessionalism on his part from now on.
I stayed calm and unaffected until we had driven about a block away and I got the shakes. I'm not afraid of confrontation and I'll do it when necessary, but oh I hate it. I've been pretty tired. It was worth it, though. No one calls my husband stupid and threatens to hit him in the face in my presence, and they especially don't get away with taunting me with that bad behavior. He was out of line and now he knows it.
I think I freaked myself out much more than him, anyway. I still can't really believe it.

6 comments:
YES that was awesome!!!! Not awesome that the guy was a jerk, but TOTALLY awesome that you put him in his place.
It's sad how a little power and authority will make people act like that...real leaders are those who don't let their rank determine how much respect they give people. Sometimes you have to change how you deal with situations because of your position, but as long as both parties are doing what they're supposed to, the level of respect should never change. Maybe next time that guy will think twice before insulting someone of lower rank.
You rock girl.
There is a reason I'm not going into the military. I would have mouthed off and got kicked out long before I could be at the same level as John is.
I hate it when people think they have power over others then abuse it. At the end of the day this sergeant is made from the same stuff as all of us.
I normally don't post comments, but I wanted to let you know I was impressed with your gutsy action.
:D Thank you, guys! I surprised myself quite a bit. It really helps me feel like I wasn't overreacting and did the right thing that you guys agree with me about it. :)
Yayz!
WAY to be the bravest person ever...
Thanks, Emmy. :*
Oh my. Way to go, I would have sat there fuming and disgusted and totally and completely vented and screamed after we left. Of course...Tom probably would have just changed his mind about joining and let them know exactly why...makes me sick when people think its ok and funny to act so idiotic.
Post a Comment