Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dream Within A Dream

My cat, Miles, has bad dreams. I had never heard of a cat dreaming before. He'll be curled up and asleep, sometimes making cute little sleeping noises - or snoring :/ - and his eyes will move a little, like people's eyes do when they dream. Then his little lips will twitch and his feet will start twitching and flexing and his tail will swish. Sometimes he'll make little crying noises, but usually he starts growling to scare the bad dream away. I'll wake him up (because if I let it progress too far he explodes awake and runs around terrified until he realizes where he is - and if you were what he was sleeping on you get scratched from those sharp little back claws) by starting to pick him up and moving him around and talking to him. He usually jerks awake and hisses, unless you catch it early enough, but then I keep talking to him and he looks around and remembers where he is and who I am.
Miles has always been the weirdest little cat, prone to acting like a person, especially by copying John. We've had him turn off the lights before by jumping up and letting his paw drag down the wall until it pulls the switch down with him. Another time - this event is famous - he was lying happily in the path of our fan and I turned it off so we could leave. Miles huffily got up, stalked over, stood up on his hind legs, and punched one of the buttons with his paw, creating a breeze once more, and languidly flopped back in its path, his tummy exposed to the cool air. We've also watched him walk into the bathroom and close the door behind himself... though he had some trouble getting back out on his own. ;)
Our favorite pastime is playing "volleyball" with him. We'll take a toy ball or some crumpled up paper and toss it to him and he'll spike it back with one paw, sometimes jumping to reach it. He'll lob it back over and over again. I'm trying to get a good, short enough clip of him playing it to put on here (that doesn't consist of just watching me go to fetch the ball to throw again -- sometimes I wonder if he tells his friends all that he's trained ME to do!).
I love my little kitty like crazy. :) He's 4 years old but still wild and fun, meaning he does still hide and try to trip me when I walk down the hall - I just feel something soft grab my foot and I'll look back to see a furry little arm disappearing. :D And wherever we go, he's gotta go with us. And I will always wonder what my furry little boy is dreaming about.

2 comments:

wisp said...

Well, I think he's cute!

Di said...

You're cat (and his owners/family) are nuts, you know that?!? I didn't know he did all those tricks- that's amazing! I really don't think he knows he a cat...